How to Contest Virginia Beach Speeding Tickets
Anyone who drives a motor vehicle on a Virginia highway at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the maximum speed limit or in excess of eighty miles per hour is guilty of reckless driving. In Virginia, reckless driving is a criminal offense that carries the following penalties:
- Six DMV (Department of Motor Vehicle) points, which is the number of years that the conviction stays on your DMV record
- Possible six-month suspension of your license
- Fine of $2,500
- Potential jail sentence of 12 months
Since a Virginia Beach speeding ticket will affect your driving privileges and your auto insurance premiums, you may want to consider contesting a reckless driving charge. If there were no other issues during the traffic stop, most Virginia courts will reduce the violation to a simple speeding ticket.
How to prepare your defense
If you contest any Virginia Beach speeding tickets, you need to:
- Get copies of the notes of the traffic officer and maintenance records for any radar or laser equipment the officer used.
- Go to traffic court ahead of your court date and observe trials similar to yours in order to understand the court process.
- Take photographs of the area where you got the ticket at the same time of day you received the ticket and under the same weather conditions, if possible. It is especially important to get photographs of any obstructions in the line of sight between your vehicle and the police vehicle, such as moving traffic, road signs, and road turns.
- Contact any witnesses identified in the police report, as well as witnesses who may have been in the car with you.
Why you need an attorney
As a speeding ticket attorney in Virginia Beach, I suggest that you retain a lawyer for any major speeding or traffic violation but especially if you receive a reckless driving or DUI citation. A Virginia Beach speeding ticket attorney can represent you at your arraignment and can usually negotiate for you so you do not have to appear in court.
Most people hope to never need the assistance of an attorney for a traffic violation. Yet at some point, nearly everyone does. When that time comes, you want a Virginia Beach speeding ticket attorney you can trust to act in your best interests and tell it to you straight. This is exactly the service you get from my law firm, Shannon & Bedois, P.C. Contact me for a free initial consultation.